This premium training course will deliver a comprehensive insight into the intricacies of tariff classification, using the General Rules of Interpretation (GIRs).
You will receive an in-depth knowledge into how to build the commodity code and how getting the tariff classification wrong can have a big impact on your business. Customs duty rates depend on the commodity code, an incorrectly declared commodity code can have repercussions; Goods can be delayed, held, or seized at the customs border. HMRC can claim underpaid customs debt going back 3 years, as well as issuing a penalty.
We will cover what information is needed to be able to successfully tariff classify and help you understand how to classify goods which are incomplete or unfinished, or unassembled / disassembled. We’ll also consider other country’s tariff systems and why you and your overseas supplier/customer may have a different commodity code. Topics include:
- Harmonised System 2022 – what are the changes and how may they impact you
- HS Sections, Chapters, Sub-Chapters – what is the HS structure
- Tariff Classification – where to find the essential General Rules of Interpretation (GIRs)
- Incomplete or unfinished goods – how to classify these
- Unassembled or disassembled goods – how to classify these
- Goods classifiable in two or more headings – what strategy to follow
- Goods put up in sets for retail sale – what does this mean
- Packaging and cases – when are these classified separately
- Accessories and parts – how to classify these
- Parts for General Use – when are parts considered to be for general use
- UK Global Tariff – how to use and understand
- Tariff Remedies – what is Anti-Dumping Duty, Countervailing Duty, Retaliatory measures
- Advance Tariff Ruling – how to apply and when would this be helpful
- Explanatory Notes and Guidance – how these can aid your tariff classification
- Classification Opinions and Regulations – where to find these
- Court / Tribunal Decisions – when do these matter
- Tariff Strategy and Checklists – what information is needed for successful classification
Date: Wednesday 18th May 2022 9.30am to 4.30pm
Venue: Essex Chambers of Commerce, 34a Star Lane, Great Wakering, Essex. SS3 0FF
Cost to attend: Members £340.00 + VAT and Non-Members £390.00 + VAT
Attendees are encouraged to bring along examples of paperwork to discuss on the day. Specific questions or issues can also be submitted prior to the course and answers or resolutions will also be discussed.
REMEMBER compliance is not a choice, it’s a necessity
Join us to ensure you are prepared for the challenges ahead.
*All of our physical training courses will be delivered following the Government COVID-19 guidance and will have a maximum of 8 attendees plus trainers in a large, ventilated training room. The safety of our trainers and attendees is of the utmost importance to us and training will be converted online if necessary.