Members Login

Minutes of meeting held Friday 11 January 2019

Essex Business Crime Strategic Board

MINUTES

10.00 – 12.00 – Friday 11 January 2019
DP World London Gateway


    Attendees:

 Andy Prophet – ACC, Essex Police
 Roger Hirst – Police, Fire & Crime Commissioner for Essex
 Ian Gennery – CI Local Policing Support, Essex Police
 Emma Thomas - Comms & Engagement Manager, Police, Fire & Crime Commissioner
 Denise Rossiter – CEO, Essex Chambers of Commerce
 David Burch – Director of Policy, Essex Chambers of Commerce
 Donna Gale – Executive Assistant, Essex Chambers of Commerce
 Dean Border – MD, Baltic Distribution
 Lee Hammond – Head of Security, East of England Co-op
 Colin Hitchcock – Harbourmaster, DP World London Gateway
 John Moran – Operations Director, Minerva Fire & Security Ltd
 Andrew Harper-Rowe – Director, MLM Group
 Philip Miller – Chair & CEO, Stockvale Grou
 Samantha Johnson – Head of Security Compliance, London Stansted Airport
 Perry Woolner – I&C Team Manager, Wave
 Stephen Cook – HR Manager, Wilkin & Sons
 In attendance
 Dan Youngman – Force Performance Analyst, Essex Police
 Heather Gurden – Strategic Designing Out Crime Manager
 

1.    Apologies for Absence:

BJ Harrington – Chief Constable Designate, Essex Police 
Darren Horsman – Asst Director, Comms & Public Engagement, Essex Police
Jane Gardner – Dep. Police, Fire & Crime Commissioner for Essex
Julian Drury – MD, Trenitalia c2c Rail
Peter Scopes – Centre Manager, Lion Walk Shopping Centre, Colchester

2.    Minutes of Last Meeting:  Minutes of the first meeting of this Board held on 11 September 2018 circulated in advance, reviewed and approved.

Matters arising – item 7 – Engaging with Business – ET to speak to DR separately to discuss formation of media sub-group and way forward.

3.    Essex Police Analyst – Business Crime Data:  Dan Youngman, Force Performance Analyst, Essex Police, talked through the Business Crime Analysis document circulated to the Board in advance.  Produced on 4 January 2019 and covering the period December 2017 – November 2018, the document included various charts/graphs showing business crime stats. in Essex by area / type of crime / main target areas (retail), etc., and where of the 15 districts listed, Thurrock shows the highest offence level by location, and Stansted the lowest.   Shoplifting accounts for 43% of business crime, with seasonal spikes in the summer.  A comprehensive copy of the document can be downloaded here.

During discussion, the following points / observations / comments were made:

  • AP – huge variation in crime stats by area. 
  • LH – Co-op always report all offences – Police do not always attend.  AP – would like to see a simple breakdown of reported crime, and reported but unattended crime, to include comparison of cost of time spent on each incident
  • David B – could an outcomes & prosecutions table be prepared 
  • AH-R – felt it would be useful to have a contractor on the Board to represent the construction industry, as damage & stolen plant equipment is shown as £4m+ ACTION DR

4.    Chamber Update: DR – since the last meeting, the Chamber have been looking into the cost of ‘credit card data blockers’ for Chamber members to hand out to all staff.  Essex Police have a budget of £4k to put towards this, and DR asked for a show of hands round the table for additional financial contributions. PM, Dean B, JM & AH-R expressed interest - final costings to be confirmed. ACTION DR.  ET/DR will meet separately after this meeting re setting up a media group for the members of this board via twitter / linked in to raise awareness of business crime.  ACTION DR

5.    Presentation: Heather Gurden, Strategic Designing Out Crime Manager, Essex Police, talked through a powerpoint presentation ‘ Making Places Safer’.  (copy of slides sent via e-mail after the meeting, and embedded below).  The role of the strategic Designing out Crime Officer is multifaceted, but one of the responsibilities is to represent the Chief Constable of Essex Police and similarly the Police Fire & Crime Commissioner in all matters pertaining to planning applications and planning appeals.  Heather is responsible for the management of the cohort of Essex Police Crime Prevention Specialists. In conjunction with the Essex Police media team Heather is also responsible for  ensuring that any Crime Prevention information delivered to the  local community and allied partnerships  is  of value, up to date  and  easily accessible.  She similarly has a responsibility to ensure that there is a consistent level of Crime Prevention activity and continued professional development for front line Police Officers, PCSO’s Special Constabulary and Police cadets along with Police support volunteers and the wider Policing family. 

View presentation here.

DR agreed to raise the profile of this important but little known area of Police work via Chamber publications and the Media group once set up.  ACTION

          
6.    Updates:

a)    PFCC Update: RH – in the period 2018/19, £12 per household was raised via Council Tax to assist with recruiting 150 additional police officers.  For 2019/20 this figure will rise to £24 per household, which will be used to assist recruiting a further 215 officers.  The new recruits will be deployed for local and neighbourhood policing, town centre presence, and cover in rural areas, in addition to targeting drug & street crime. Of the initial 150, 13 have been assigned to Southend.
Police Specials – on-going recruitment drive for special police officers continues – now 1500 in the scheme.   

b)    Chief Constable Update: AP – working on creating a ‘Business Crime’ team of 3/4 personnel, who will act on any issues raised via this Board.  This should be up and running in the next 12 months.  ACTION – agenda item for update at 12 April meeting. 


7.    AOB:  

  • IG - pleased to report that since the launch in 2017, Essex has dropped from 3rd to 10th in the rural crime league table. Also working more closely with the Kent Force.  
  • SC – Wilkins & Son have signed up to ‘Operation Buzzard’
  • LH – advised rural crime conference taking place in Suffolk on 29/1.  Anyone interested to contact LH. 
  • DR respectfully reminded all that to ensure success of this group regular attendance at meetings is expected, and offer of membership extended to representatives of the FSB and IoD.  ACTION - Darren Horsman to supply contact details


8.    Dates of future 2019 meetings:

12 April, 12 July, 11 October
All Fridays – all 10.00 – 12.00 – All to take place at DP World London Gateway


Visitor parking is available via the main port access road at DP World, 1 London Gateway, The Manorway, Stanford-le-Hope, Essex, SS17 9DY